[Openais] aisexec causing significant idle load

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Tue Oct 5 10:38:43 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 08:54, Mark Haverkamp wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 08:47, Steven Dake wrote:
> > Janne,
> >
> > Under idle conditions openais uses some CPU time because it uses a token
> > passed through every processor.  There are ways to improve this, for
> > example not encrypting the token or not passing the token except when
> > the token timers are about to expire.  These are all enhancements that
> > can be made in the future.  Finally the poll interface sorts the list of
> > file descriptors to provide priorities on every poll call.  This is a
> > significant use of time and can definately be improved.
> >
> > The fact that your cpu usage increases over time is a sure sign of some
> > kind of bug/enhancement needed.  I'd be interested to know what if any
> > test programs you ran before this behavior occured.  It would be great
> > if we could nail it down to a specific test that changes the performance
> > usage.
> >
> > The poll list grows but never shrinks (but reuses empty space) so this
> > may be the cause of the problem.  I'll run some tests and see what I can
> > find.
>
> Have you considered using epoll?  You don't have to manage your own list
> this way.
>
> Mark.

Mark,
I'd like to keep openais working on 2.4 kernels (and possibly other
OSes).  What I'd like to do is create a build option so aispoll.c can
use either poll or epoll depending on the kernel support.  But that has
been low priority for now.  I have kept this in the back of my mind but
I'll add it to the todo.

Thanks!
-steve