[Openais] threaded send operation for openais

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Wed Jul 6 12:50:59 PDT 2005

I spent about 3 hours hacking this up so its not polished.  Basically
what it does is create work threads with queues.  When the executive
wants to send a message, it adds the message to the work queue.  The
worker thread then encrypts and sends the message on the wire.  The # of
worker threads are configured via WORKER_THREAD_COUNT.  The advantage
should be better performance on multiprocessors.  I find performance
doesn't improve on my multiprocessor machines.  However, the cpus are
more evenly used on multiprocessors.

I'm interested in people that could test this out and let me know what
kind of results (with evsbench) they find vs what is currently in
subversion.  I didn't really understand threads when I started this
patch and just read the man pages.  As a result, there may be something
I am doing that could be done in a more performant way..  Any
suggestions welcomed.

regards
-steve