[Openais] new threaded patch

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Wed Jul 6 18:21:20 PDT 2005

This thread transmit patch has about 15% better performance on a single
node with 2 processors after about a 3k message size then current
subversion.  Let me know if you see similar results in your setups.  The
major improvement is that the barrier was moved to right before the
token was transmitted.  This reduces latency and allows the encryption
process to take place while the rest of the token is being processed.

I'm interested in what the crossover point (small messages have worse
performance) is because there will be two code paths.  The threaded will
occur when there are alot of messages to transmit, the non-threaded will
occur with only one cpu or when there is only messages up to the
crossover point.

This brings up an interesting point..  Is there a (hopefully portable)
method to obtain cpu count from a syscall without
parsing /proc/cpuinfo ?

regards
-steve