[Openais] [Cluster-devel] logging: final call on configuration, output and implementation

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 11:27:30 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 08:09:10PM +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> those logging threads have been going on for way too long. It's time to
> close them and make a final decision. This is a long email, so please
> take time to read it all.
>
> This is a recap of what I believe a user would like to see:
>
> - a consistent, easy and quick way to configure logging.
> - a reasonable default if nothing is specified.
> - a consistent, easy to read, output.

I like this.  Two minor points regarding the actual terminology; I'd like
to be a little more consistent and identify some "keywords".  Right now
the word "log" is combined with other words in a bunch of ways (logging,
logger, logfile, syslog, log_foo).  How about:

. logging, logging_subsys (common keyword "logging")
  for the config file section tags

- to_syslog, syslog_facility, syslog_priority (common keyword "syslog")
  for every parameter related to syslog

- to_logfile, logfile, logfile_priority (common keyword "logfile")
  for every parameter related to logfile

And then we have some values that are "on/off" and others that are
"yes/no"; let's pick one.

Dave