[Openais] Compiling corosync trunk on Solars

Steven Dake steven.dake at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 23:58:31 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Steven Dake <sdake at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 00:22 -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Steven Dake <sdake at redhat.com> wrote:
> >         On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 10:15 +0200, Wojtek Meler wrote:
> >         > Steven Dake pisze:
> >         > > At one time Solaris worked, but nobody has done a re-port
> >         in the
> >         > > community since we moved to automake.  I attempted to
> >         install Solaris
> >         > > x86 in a KVM virtual machine and it just locks up on
> >         startup.
> >         > >
> >         > Solaris 10 is usable in both vmware player and virtualbox.
> >         If someone
> >         > want to I can send 14KB vmware image
> >         > which one can run under free vmware player an install
> >         solaris on it
> >         > (these images generated with easyvmx.com hanged up).
> >         > > If anyone else has a solaris machine to try out porting it
> >         would be
> >         > > helpful.  I would really prefer 1.0 works with Solaris.
> >         > >
> >         >
> >         > I could help with the code and take care of packaging it to
> >         opencsw, but
> >         > I'm not familiar with build system (auto*),
> >         > so if someone could try make linking more portable
> >         (libtool?), so trunk
> >         > would compile both on linux and solaris it would be great.
> >         >

> >         Alot of developers with commit access have problems with
> >         libtool which
> >         is why we don't use it.
> >
> >         I have a new 64 bit workstation coming in 3-5 days and will
> >         then be able
> >         to install a 64 bit f11 os which apparently works with Solaris
> >         as a
> >         guest KVM.  I should be able to beat the build and make
> >         problems into
> >         shape then.
> >
> >         Regards
> >         -steve
> >

> >         > Regards,
> >         > Wojtek
> >

> > Wojtek,
> >
> > Update here,
> >
> > All of those linking flags are gcc-isms and not supported by the
> > native Solaris compiler.  The source buildling errors, not sure on,
> > I'll have to read the headers and figure out the changes.
> >
> > I received my workstation and have solaris 10 installed in a VM now.
> > I installed a whole bunch of csw packages including gcc 4 toolchain.
> >
> > Being a Solaris novice, I assume we would prefer the software to build
> > under Solaris Sun Studio 12 rather then gcc4 (reading csw guidelines,
> > it appears csw would prefer this)?
> >
> > We use some gcc-isms which may or may not be supported in Sun Studio.
> > I will have to compile a test program to find out with the Solaris
> > compiler.  Specifically we use function constructors with the
> > __attribute__(constructor) construct.  We also need the linker to
> > support lazy linking (ie no compile-time link, but try to resolve
> [...]
Managed to get trunk to compile with Solaris 10, csw gcc4 + the solaris
bintools (ar/ld/etc).  The Sun Studio compiler appears too defective to
build the source tree.  Had to hack pkgconfig since it is very old in the
csw and the m4 macros for pkgconfig in the version are out of date.

I haven't posted all patches yet because some are hard to separate out.  I
receive a segfault after getting everything to link, and csw gdb reboots my
kvm machine.  I took a look at the core and it looks related to how the ip
addresses are found in the system (which is not defined by Posix and done
differently on each OS).

I'll post the remainder of the patches I have available tomorrow (bed time
now) to get a building solaris tree and we can work on getting the kinks
out.

If you have network experience, please have a look at  totemip_iface_check
and see if you know of examples for executing the functionality.

The Ipc system will need work around the security features since it checks
uid/gid of connecting socket.  This can be done in Solaris and there may be
code in the tree or one of the tags to do this now.  I'll have to get a
non-segfaulting system before I can address that.

The solaris dl library doesn't properly execute constructors in dlopen
shared objects, but i've got a workaround in my test tree which is somewhat
unsanitary but only affects Solaris.

i notice the csw says they dont take alpha/beta software.  You should be
aware that we are entering the final stages of release and planning our rc
in approximately 7-10 days.

Regards
-steve