[Openais] call for roadmap features for future releases

Keisuke MORI keisuke.mori+ha at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 22:23:17 PDT 2009

Dear Steve,

2009/6/21 Steven Dake <sdake at redhat.com>:
> I invite all of our contributors to help define the X.Y roadmap of both
> corosync and openais.  Please submit your ideas on this list.  Some
> examples of suggested ideas have been things like converting to libtool.
> Also new service engine ideas are highly welcome.  Keep ideas within a 1
> month - 3 year timeframe.

I'm going to migrate from Heartbeat-2.* stack to Pacemaker +
OpenAIS/Corosync stack but found some features are missing.
I would appreciate if you could consider those items:

1) Notification/diagnosis of the link status of each rings when it's
down and up.
   Currently, corosync-cfgtool -s reports "FAULTY" status when the
first ring was down (which is good so far),  but will never report it
when the second ring was failed.
   It's very confusing for an operator to get to know which interfaces
need to be repaired.
   The operator also wants to be notified the status change by the
syslog, but it's not obvious in the current log messages.

2) "Self-healing" of the network failure.
   There was a discussion about it in this list recently. I would +1 for it.

3) SNMP notification.
   The events of the status change like 1), 2) also need to be
notified by SNMP traps to cooperate with management tools (such as
Nagios etc.).

4) Log level separation.
   The log messages should be categorised by its significance from the
operator's point of view. For example:
   a) WARN/ERROR: A failure or an important event that should be
notified to the operator so that they can take an appropriate action.
   b) INFO or lower: The internal cluster logs which is useful to
diagnose the details of the cause for a cluster engineer (like you
guys).

5) Suicide when the internal process failed.
   Heartbeat uses /dev/watchdog to react to the cluster process failure.

6) "respawn" feature (sub processes management feature).
   It would be useful when you want to add an additional service as a
separated process.
   An example usage is the SNMP feature 3) if it's implemented as a
daemon. You can just add "respawn" configuration with the path to the
daemon to enable it.

I'm glad to help you to implement any of those items if there's
anything I can do.

Sincerely,
--
Keisuke MORI