[Openais] question stack Pacemaker/corosync on SLES11

Tim Serong tserong at suse.com
Thu Mar 8 10:10:02 UTC 2012

On 03/08/2012 07:23 PM, alain.moulle at bull.net wrote:
> Hi Darren
> And thanks. I effectively found that the stack is started with the service
> "openais" : no more
> 'corosync' neither 'pacemaker' lsb scripts.
> But I'am surprised because I think I remind that one or two years ago, it
> was said that corosync
> was sort of an 'extract' of openais , just to isolate needed code for
> stack Pacemaker/corosync to
> work ... and now it seems that all is managed again by openais ... so I
> don't completely
> understand the evolution of 'architecture'  ... but perhaps am I wrong ?
> Could you clarify the "history" for me ?

openais 0.80.x (before the creation of corosync) shipped for SLES 11.
You started it by running /etc/init.d/openais start.

corosync 1.2.x + openais 1.1.x shipped for SLES 11 SP1.  corosync is the
core messaging layer, and openais just includes some extra magic for
OCFS2 etc.  But (on SLES at least) the /etc/init.d/openais init script
remained, even though that init script now starts corosync.

The same is true now for SLES 11 SP2 (albeit with corosync 1.4.1);
corosync is what's running, but you use the openais init script to start it.

So your history of project splits and whatnot is correct, you're just
being misled by the name of an init script :)

Regards,

Tim