[packaging] Meeting next week to discuss trusted third-party repositories

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Dec 18 10:15:09 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Thomas Leonard <talex5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/18 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
>> The energy that goes into the posts on this thread is impressive.
>>
>> Can some of that energy be redirected to implementing?
>
> What do you want implemented that isn't already? What problems have you had?

Personally, I would like to see some of the ideas in
http://wiki.winehq.org/TrustingThirdPartyRepositories
put into action to lessen the pain of ISVs who want to
provide commercial (including free-to-use) linux apps.
Looking at Ubuntu, for example: I think Ubuntu 9.04 is going to whitelist
a few third party repositories, that's kind of a given now.
It would be nice if they also supported some subset of Suse's
OneClickInstall .ymp metapackage idea.
Further down the road, I'd like to see dpkg
provide better support for packages without control scripts.
I'd also like to see better support for safely using not-yet-completely-trusted
third-party repositories (including install-time measures such as
'can only install files into /opt/$vendor', and perhaps run-time measures
such as 'apps from this repository are run in a sandbox').

But mostly I just wanted to redirect people away from talking
(of which there has been much of late) and towards doing.
- Dan