[packaging] Meeting next week to discuss trusted third-party repositories

Thomas Leonard talex5 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 10:58:51 PST 2008

2008/12/18 R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Thomas Leonard wrote:
>
>> 2008/12/18 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
>>>
>>> The energy that goes into the posts on this thread is impressive.
>>>
>>> Can some of that energy be redirected to implementing?
>>
>> What do you want implemented that isn't already? What problems have you
>> had?
>
> I infer from your comment that you assert then that it is presently able to
> be done with existing tools proposed or discussed here to simply build and
> package as a non-root user, in those tools, all of the LSB components,
> currently expressed in in .rpms, .debs and tarballs, used in LSB 3.2 and 4.
> distribution conformance testing, and LSB application certification testing.

I don't know about "all" of them. Installing a Linux kernel non-root
isn't going to work (well, actually there's a Zero Install feed for
User-Mode-Linux, but for the actual kernel that runs on the hardware
non-root install clearly isn't an option). I certainly wouldn't expect
them to pass any LSB certification, though I haven't checked exactly
what that entails. It's a bit of strange goal when deciding to whether
to adopt a different system to insist that it be identical to the old
one.

Also, I'd be more interested in packages that aren't in the LSB, and
programs that people are currently distributing outside of
distributions.

What are you actually trying to do that doesn't work? Why do you think
the options proposed won't support what you want to do? Is there a
particular program you package that you're having trouble with?

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		ROX desktop / Zero Install