[packaging] Meeting next week to discuss trusted third-party repositories

Yfrwlf swiftpaw22 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:13:44 PST 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:12 PM, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>>  As a developer for a used package manager, I've tried to stay out of
>> the "discussion" that is autopackage/0install/relocatable-packages
>> etc.
>>

> Me, too.  I like the current package managers.  I think they solve
> problems that autopackage/0install don't, and there's no reason
> we can't run all the way to the goal with apt, yum, and friends
> (possibly with the help of things like PackageKit).

That'd be nice, we all wish it'd been done long ago, that a major push
for at least one good cross-distro packaging system/format/API/standard
would have been developed already.  Until it happens though, at least
Thomas Leonard has stepped up to the plate with Zero Install to get it
done even if it's not a low-level solution (replacing, integrated with,
etc, the existing managers) (yet).  I always assumed package manager
developers just weren't interested in such a solution but perhaps it's
just a matter of communication lasting long enough to work something out.