[packaging] Meeting next week to discuss trusted third-party repositories

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Dec 19 19:48:41 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Yfrwlf <swiftpaw22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> That'd be nice, we all wish it'd been done long ago, that a major push for
> at least one good cross-distro packaging system/format/API/standard would
> have been developed already.  Until it happens though, at least Thomas
> Leonard has stepped up to the plate with Zero Install to get it done even if
> it's not a low-level solution (replacing, integrated with, etc, the existing
> managers) (yet).

But it's moot, because users demand exactly
   "apt-get install google-sketchup".

> I always assumed package manager developers just weren't
> interested in such a solution but perhaps it's just a matter of
> communication lasting long enough to work something out.

0install's whole premise - that one should not need to be root to install -
is misguided.  Ubuntu's approach - making it easier but not too easy
to get root - suffices.

The very last thing ISVs want is yet another package format.
- Dan