[packaging] Wiki or summary page, anywhere?

Peter Dolding oiaohm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 07:54:16 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 12:29 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Yfrwlf <swiftpaw22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Isn't there someplace where the problems involved in creating a better
> > cross-distro packaging solution and their proposed solutions can be
> > listed, like on a wiki or something?  So that everyone can stay on the
> > same page, and not be side tracked, and there will be less redundancy in
> > posts?
>
> It would be great if all the people who dislike LSB and distros
> would form their own mailing list so those of us who want to
> focus on using / improving LSB and distro package managers
> could focus on that.
> - Dan

Number 1 if you are not prepaid to take on the job of fixing the hated bits
of LSB and correcting them there is no point to this mailing list.

My distrust of Distributions is the simple fact they are not created
equal.   Some are trustable to be stable others are not.  Same goes for
there contained LSB runtimes.   Distributions like Fedora or sidux cannot be
classed as trustable LSB runtime ever.  No system in place to deal with
them.   Users will be using them.

Good design is where you guys have major issues.   You have to take worst
case out comes.   If you design for that the system will always work.

So far we have not had one distribution person in this mailing list put
forward any other idea than stick with status normal.   Distribution
dominate ISV's to suffer whatever they dish up.

We need a fair playing field.  Remember Distributions are also ISV's.   Why
should any ISV be able to dominate another.   You say that ISV's must be
isolated from each other so they cannot interfere with each other.   But the
ISV of Distributions its perfectly fine to interfere with other ISV's
causing applications to fail.

If you guys were not talking double standards so much I would not be as
annoyed with you.

Problem is I want LSB to work.   Bad design it will not work long term that
is the simple fact of it.

Peter Dolding