[packaging] Wiki or summary page, anywhere?

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Thu Dec 25 15:43:38 PST 2008

On Dec 25, 2008, at 6:13 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com> wrote:
>>> Come to think of it, we can simply remove the dependency
>>> on /bin/sh, it's implied by LSB.  Thanks for pointing that out.
>>
>> Good luck removing the Requires: /bin/sh, its not easy
>> without changing rpmbuild
>
> Then I won't worry about it for now, it can't hurt anything.

Whether
	Requires: /bin/sh
is present (or not) and whether the dependency is permitted (or not)
has never been important.

The important issue for a packaging "standard" is whether
the package can be installed everywhere in Linux. Go read
Ian's blog if you need to reinforce the memories. But
as an ISV who wishes some "standard" assistance preparing
software packages that can be installed on Linux reliably, I doubt
that I need to remind you of your needs.

It is a damn shame that the LSB packaging standard cannot
deliver on its intended promise. Not all the blame needs to
be assigned to LSB either, there's more than enough blame to
go around.

By all means, blame me, if that floats your boat. My public persona
will go *shrug*.

73 de Jeff