[packaging] Meeting next week to discuss trusted third-party repositories

Yfrwlf swiftpaw22 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 19:48:39 PST 2008

> Perhaps he should leave the LSB packaging mailing list.
> - Dan

While just saying "the LSB sucks" wouldn't be constructive criticism,
Peter has offered a lot more and has listed a lot of different concerns
about Linux packaging.  So, maybe the problems that everyone has with
the LSB or Linux packaging in general can be noted and addressed by
those who are concerned, maybe you shouldn't be so defensive, maybe you
don't have to respond to everything on the list, maybe there *are
*problems with the LSB.

The point is to try to figure out the problems and propose solutions and
refine until you get something that can accomplish as much as possible
with the least complexity, and is as *decentralized* as possible.  It
was mentioned I'm not against the LSB and holy crap, I don't care about
childish "taking sides", I just want to see the problem actually
progressing toward a solution whatever it may be.  But on that note, you
shouldn't need the LSB's permission to distribute functional Linux
applications if possible, there should be no lord and master if
possible, but if you absolutely have to have some centralization so be
it, and if the LSB can be one of the bodies which *helps* with those
parts which could use centralization, great.  There could be two
solutions if needed (and there is), one involving the LSB (Burgdorf) and
the other not (ZI), don't care, just want to see it fixed.  I don't
think Linux users should live in a walled garden, that kind of
fragmentation is horrible for the future of GNU/Linux.

I think it'd be great to get the problems noted, *constructively*, and
their corresponding potential solutions and those implications,
somewhere, so that the next time say, Peter, or anyone, notes something
he doesn't like about the current state of Linux packaging, he can put
up his ideas and proposed solutions someplace, and others can contribute
if they feel like it, and you don't have to.  I think anything to do
with Linux packaging as long as it's not purely destructive commenting
belongs here but it's up to the list moderator of course...

-Yfrwlf