[packaging] Meeting next week to discuss trusted third-party repositories

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Dec 27 08:53:49 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 2:16 AM, Tortanick <tortanick at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Do you think it would make sense to have separate lists,
>> one for discussing "standard model" solutions, i.e. those that
>> build on current mainline techniques (rpm, deb, lsb),
>> and another for "alternative" solutions, i.e. those that reject
>> the idea of trusting Linux distributions and/or the LSB?
>> Or is that too much fragmentation?
>
> Having seperate threads seems to be effective enough :)

I'm not so sure.
Every time I try to get discussion going about mainline
stuff, various anti-mainline people jump into the thread,
with mixed results.

On the bright side, private emails I've gotten in response to
my post give me hope that the mainline techniques are
improving.  In particular, I've heard about work
being done on package validation (checking that a package
follows various rules before allowing it to be installed)
and on reducing the power of package control scripts.
I hope those folks post here soon.
- Dan