[packaging] Meeting next week to discuss trusted third-party repositories

Tortanick tortanick at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 27 15:48:57 PST 2008

?
> > Having seperate threads seems to be effective enough :)
>
> I'm not so sure.
> Every time I try to get discussion going about mainline
> stuff, various anti-mainline people jump into the thread,
> with mixed results.

Just say at the start of the thread that this is exclusively for mainline
discussion, and politely decline attempts to go off topic: that's what I did
for "Useing distro package managers. Was: Re: Meeting next week to discuss
trusted third-party repositories" and it pretty much worked.

> On the bright side, private emails I've gotten in response to
> my post give me hope that the mainline techniques are
> improving.  In particular, I've heard about work
> being done on package validation (checking that a package
> follows various rules before allowing it to be installed)
> and on reducing the power of package control scripts.
> I hope those folks post here soon.

I hope they post too, it sounds interesting.