No subject

Fri Dec 19 16:39:21 PST 2008

value ISVs like using things like Installshield to do their
installers, and they don't want to change.  Somehow it
was decided that informing the package manager about
what installers like that do will help with something.
I suppose it would make uninstalling easier, but I don't
see that as a really important goal.

> This is why you are getting walled Dan by me.   Your solution needs lots of
> work to get upto a equal solution to Berlin.  What is being put forward is
> missing key sections for me to go ok good enough passes the needed
> criteria.  Now of course I would love better than Berlin.   Personally think
> Berlin is going to be a mantaince nightmare due to using installers and the
> like to update itself.   Another reason why it was delayed for 1 more
> release.   Basically the clock is ticking for a solution the shipping
> everywhere criteria to be developed without it we all have to live with
> Berlin.

No, Berlin is sitting still because it doesn't solve any known problem.
I can't figure out why it's listed as high priority on the roadmap.
Ian was right in his summary of the problems, but I don't think
that the Berlin API as proposed solves the problems he talked about.
[Perhaps somebody from one of the large Installshield-using ISVs
could speak up here?]

More useful IMHO would be for somebody to write an RPM and/or
DEB backend for Installshield.
- Dan