[packaging] LSB granularity too coarse, causing slow downloads?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Dec 27 23:01:11 PST 2008

[This is about plain old LSB issues, not about Berlin or anything fancy...]

When I posted the note the other day about changing our
app to depend on LSB instead of a bunch of little
distro-specific names for standard things, somebody
pointed out in private email that this could make it slower to
do "apt-get install" or "yum install" to install the app, as
now things required by the LSB but not previously required
by our app would have to be pulled down.  (His example was binutils.)

I think this means lsb's component packages should be
somewhat more fine grained than they are.
For instance, lsb-languages should be a metapackage that
depends on finer-grained lsb-python and lsb-perl packages.
(Or is it already?  I don't think so...)
- Dan