[packaging] Comment #20: re LSB 4.0 Core beta specification

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Tue Dec 30 05:25:43 PST 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 3:39 AM, Peter Dolding wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com> wrote:
> The LSB packaging standard needs to attempt a semantic model for
> the interpretation of packaging format and content.
>
> The original issues (iirc) blocking a specification
> of the semantic interpretation model had to do with
> erase-before-install versus install-before-erase.
>
> That issue is not very hard to address in a specification.
>
> Already the install and erase (but not the upgrade)
> model for dpkg and rpm are largely identical (at least
> formally) identical. Details will matter, likely
> hooking and extensibility and configuration and ..
> the details __ALWAYS__ matter.
>
> But its obvious from symmetry principles that
> there are not a large number of "upgrade"
> models that need to be specified.
>
> Without a semantic interpretation model, a specification
> for, say, "Table 22-14. Package Dependency Attributes"
> is largely irreleavent. Sure there are bits, and sometimes
> they are on (or pff). But the meaning of the bits can
> only be specified wrto a semantic interpretation model.
>
> I also suggest looking quite carefully at Mancoosi (nee EDOS)
> package models. They have quite easily succeeded avoided
> "packaging wars" with a model that accomodates two formats
> with multiple depsolvers, unlike LSB.
>

> Not a bad framework.   Mancoosi is design from an admin point of
> view.   It will be interesting to see it in time when they get code
> doing there interface how it compares upto freeipa.org.

You ought to read Mancoosi goals before claiming "admin" POV. Unlike
LSB packaging,
Mancoosi does have less lofty and more specific goals, more in line
with distributing software.

  I suppose that qualifies as an "admin" point of view.

And you need to look harder, there are most definitely tools brought
forward from EDOS,
used/contributed by both Mandriva and Caixa Magica.

Why not compare freeipa.org and Mancoosi yourself?

> Of course with some alterations Mancoosi might be alterable to suit
> ISV's.   http://www.mancoosi.org

I'm never sure I've met an ISV. I'll ask if Mancoosi is suitable on
next meet-up.

> It would be interesting to get feedback from others.   Mancoosi is
> still design with the idea about not giving a stuff about the
> distribution under but it includes the option of including
> distribution dependant parts were needed.

And I suppose LSB's "The Berlin API" is a fully fledged release rather
than a "design"?

73 de Jeff