[packaging] Comment #22: re LSB 4.0 Core beta specification

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Dec 31 07:50:12 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 6:50 AM, devzero2000 <pinto.elia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it was. The empty rpm was  a - bad - conseguence of the proprietary
> Installer, Installshield.

Gee, I must have blinked.  I didn't realize installshield already
generated rpms (even crappy ones).

You won't have installshield's rpms to kick around much longer;
its rpm support seems to be end-of-lifed:
http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/ds_ia_2008_vp1_en_ismp.pdf

They still sell InstallAnywhere, which says it "integrates" with RPM.
Another third party installer is Installbuilder.
Both were profiled last year in this review:
http://www.linux.com/feature/59544?theme=print

Bitrock can either "integrate with" rpm or generate actual rpms.
http://bitrock.com/products_installbuilder_features.html

Do they have representatives on this list?  It'd be interesting to
talk with those guys.   I'm downloading eval copies now to
play with them.
- Dan