[Printing-architecture] RE:Scenarios for using the various Open Print API

Pete Zannucci pzaan at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 3 08:51:35 PST 2002

SORRY - LONG APPEND

In Claudia's note below, she has hit on the gray area.
Do we need a capabilities API or not?

We need to define what "Capabilities" really is and
what is the crossover between capabilities and the
standard attributes that are currently defined in
protocols such as IPP and to be provided by the printer
(or subsystem).

The basic capabilities of a device will be provided back
through the papiPrinterQuery call which will enable printing.
The problem with these attribute/values is that the
information provided back will be non-hardware / rendering
specific.  We should get back the standard IPP information,
at minimum, which provides for things like:
      form
      tray information
      media
      finishing options, etc.

This information formulates the basics of capabilities.
These items will let you send a job and pick certain hardware
features/finishing options but do not provide possible
additional information on how the job can be laid out and
what are possible rendering options based on the hardware's
capabilities.

We need to come to a consensus on what additional types
of information an application might need to be able to
generate a job to it's satisfaction.  We have discussed
how to provide printable area and margin information.
That is a start.  Their may be other things that some apps.
would like to know about a device and that should be added
as a possible separate api (get all the pertinent info.
back from a device on what it supports) or could possibly
be added as an additional grouping of attributes.

There are two sides of adding additional attributes that
worry me.
      1. No protocol support for the attributes so
         current devices will not be able to handle or
         provide the information back on a query.
      2. Since there is no support there will need to be
         an intermediary such as a ppd or a driver when
         using such a device.

In reality most information is provided by the current
set of attributes except for some specific hardware and
rendering information.  We should be able to get that
information based on a current group of settings so that
an application can generate a page correctly.
This could be done with the current attribute mechanism
though we have to make sure that we offset any discrepancies
that a particular implementation (such as IPP or various
other backends) with system specific function to provide
the additional information to the application.

Peter Zannucci

IBM Linux Technology Center
Open Source Software Development
Omni Print Project http://sourceforge.net/projects/omniprint