[Printing-architecture] Re: [printing-driver] FSG Printer Wor king Group conference call 03/26/03

TAYLOR,BOB (HP-Vancouver,ex1) bobt at hp.com
Tue Mar 25 11:06:31 PST 2003

see inline -

bt

<bt>
Thought I'm not sure I'd call them "static files", I do think we should
try to keep this as data driven as possible - i.e., emphasize capabilities
data to drive UI over custom device dialogs.
</bt>

>    Second, all constraints can be expressed using boolean logic;
>    putting them in code or in a file doesn't matter much - the same
>    amount of complexity is required either way.
>
> Not necessarily; the internal logic might be dynamic, based
> on the printer state (e. g. the driver might want to offer
> only options that are actually installed on the printer), or
> it might reference internal driver logic that's unwieldly to
> express via logic or simply doesn't need to be exposed to the
> application.  To illustrate what I mean, the compressed
> Gimp-print PPD files for the Epson Stylus printers total 1440
> KB (each one totals about 12 KB; the entire compressed source
> code for the Epson family driver totals 48 KB, even though
> Gimp-print doesn't query printer status (it does offer
> dynamic options based on the state of other options).

<bt>
It is definitely possible to express these "dynamic" constraints - we
are doing this with the PSI capabilities model, and I believe UPDF can
handle this as well.

In my experience, most of our core capabilities files are in the 10-50k
range.
Anything much beyond that are usually localizations of strings.
</bt>

> 						 Keep in mind that we
>    are planning on providing a constraint mechanism that is a superset
>    of that supported by PPD and that there will still be a way to do
>    full round-trip constraint checks through the printing system (if
>    supported); the latter checks are meant for sanity checks when
>    submitting options/jobs and not for on-the-fly constraint checking
>    when a user changes an option.
>
> Can it express certain options being entirely unavailable in
> some circumstances (e. g. when the user chooses to print in
> black and white, color controls should be disabled)?

<bt>
I know our PSI capabilities model can handle this, and I'm pretty sure UPDF
can as well.
</bt>