[Printing-architecture] Architecture meeting notes 20030417

Charles Hemstreet charles_at_hp at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 17 10:24:45 PDT 2003

Linux Open Printing Meeting
04/17/03, 8-9am PST

Attendees:
Charles Hemstreet
Glen Petry
Mark Hamzy
Norm Jacobs
Claudia Alimpich
Ira McDonald
Till Kamppeter

Agenda for meeting (04/17/03):

•	We need a time scale and roadmap for content release needed now that we
are looking at getting the driver subgroup up and running with that we will
be prototyping drivers.  We will move this to the agenda of the driver
subgroup.  Mark – the driver subgroup would be moved to Monday, at 11am PDT,
1PM Central.

•	Job Ticket 1.0 needs to move from API UML (pretty solid) to API in a
Programming language.  Do it in “C” first, then Java, and then revisit “C”.
API while working on the Java API.  Claudia – spent this week going through
driver list of questions.  Need to get back to the enumerations.  Need to
get to media type details to make sure that everything is covered.  Next
meeting will be on media type details, then they will be going over the
enumerations.  These will be used by the driver group too (Glen).  This is a
significant amount of time, and work.  Ira – we are going to need some
pretty significant chunks of time from key people to get the header files
completed.  It is taking a lot of time to make progress as everyone has many
things to accomplish.  Job Ticket could be supported via a virtual team.
There isn’t really a good calendar schedule for JT.  It needs to be
documented first, the form of a spec, interactions (Claudia).

•	PWG meeting in Portland, OR – week of June 16 – 20.  Would the FSG like to
meet?  HP is going to host.  Bob Taylor, Dave Hall, Allen Berkama.  Next
meeting in Utah in December 1-5.  http://www.pwg.org/chair/meet03.html

•	Summary of meeting in DC from Claudia – cit4, twenty-four hours of
conference calls.  Virtual PWG meetings happened over twenty hours.
Discussed Cit4 Interoperability and conformance specification.  JDF1.2. In
early may there is a cit4 technical meeting.  Claudia is the keeper of the
spec.  Tom Hastings running a color working group.  Enhancements to include
color to JDF.

•	Ira – Monday, newest PWG project WBMM (web based monitoring and
management).  3rd party outside can manage your inside printers and
scanners.  Firewall friendly.  Installed proxy inside your firewall handles
the requests inside and out.  A couple more months the pwg semantic model
will give you an interface to every knob and dial via mib’s.  Will stimulate
a complete semantic model.  Character repertoires call happened later that
day.  Bluetooth request, what character set do you have?  Unicode standard
for the various segments of Unicode.  Heavily used by PSI servers for
faithful rendering of character sets.  New (future) PWG project to add to
the semantic model, font management, font transfer, font details.  Job
Ticket on Tuesday.  PWG plenary on Wednesday morning discussion and summary.
  It was well attended.  Driver telecom on Wednesday afternoon.  IPP fax
telecom – really far along.  Thursday had very long PWG semantic telecom,
wrapping up lose ends in the semantic model, but never got to the document
review – a lot of discussion.

•	Last call on the PSI document ends next week.

Agenda for next meeting (4/24/03):
•	We need to focus back to the architecture discussions – we need a roadmap
for the architecture.
•	Driver subgroup summary – Mark
•	FSG meeting in Portland in June.  It would be great if we could use this
meeting to "roll up our sleeves" and get some stuff done while we have the
opportunity to do it face to face.  Let's talk about what things we need to
do to make sure that this is a productive meeting.
•	Capabilities – talk about it