[Printing-architecture] Which license should the Open Printing group use

Mark Hamzy hamzy at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 2 13:19:38 PDT 2003

Hi Scott,

There are a number of licenses that can be used for code that is released
by the OP working groups.  For example, GPL, LGPL, MIT (Expat), and the CPL
are choices that are available.  I think that the GPL and the LGPL will be
ruled out because modifications to the source need to be released and the
companies that participate may not want that restriction.

Therefore, two that are left are the Expat and the CPL license.  The
problem with the CPL license is that the FSF considers it to be
incompatible with the GPL.  This could limit participation by the
community.

What we are looking for is a recommendation by the FSG that code released
by a working group should be under a certain license.  Do you recommend
either of those two licenses or do you recommend another license?

Also, what license should be used for documentation?

Mark

Take a look at the Linux Omni Printer Driver Framework at
http://www.ibm.com/linux/ltc/projects/omni/