[Printing-architecture] Thursday Oct 9th Architecture meeting minutes

Claudia Alimpich alimpich at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 9 16:16:39 PDT 2003

Participants:
      Ira McDonald
      Glen Petrie
      Claudia Alimpich

Ira gave a summary of this week's PWG meetings being held in NY. JobX, Page
overrides, and Document specs passed last call except for a few minor
documentation fixes. Semantic Model and Schema will go to last call soon,
but direction is correct. PSI made it through last call. WBMM meeting went
all day and was very productive. PWG Process spec was reviewed.

We talked about what license we should include in the specifications that
the FSG Open Print working groups are producing. Ira suggested that the
IETF copyright be used for the JTAPI Spec. Here it is:

      Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003). All Rights Reserved.

      This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
      others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
      or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
      and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
      kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
      included on all such copies and derivative works. However, this
      document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
      the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
      Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
      developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
      copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
      followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
      English.

      The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
      revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

      This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
      "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
      TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
      BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
      HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
      MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

We talked about the use cases that still need to be created. Should we
include a variable data use case? We decided that the job ticket would not
look any different for a variable data job than for a non-variable data
job. What should the use case for production print include? Should the
production print use case include things like stuffng envelopes? We talked
about specifying workflow in a job ticket and how far we want to take this
in FSG Open Print. We decided that we should definitely make sure that the
scope is reasonable at least for the initial implementations.

The next meeting is Thursday October 16th. We will finish up reviewing the
Mobile Print use case, which we decided should probably become the PDA
Print use case. Next we need to start working on the other use cases.