[Printing-architecture] There will be an Open Printing conference call Wed Sep 14th

Claudia Alimpich alimpich at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 13 17:52:42 PDT 2005

There will be an Open Printing conference call Wed September 14th.

Day: Wednesdays
Time:
12:00-1:00 PM US Pacific time
1:00-2:00 PM US Mountain time
3:00-4:00 PM US Eastern time
9:00-10:00 PM Paris time
USA Toll Number: 1-484-630-2765
PASSCODE: 84974

We'll review the comments that we made about the reference model and
sequence diagram during the 8/31 meeting and continue going through the
sequence diagrams.

Claudia
Meeting minutes from 8/31 meeting:

Participants:
Claudia Alimpich (IBM)
Harry Lewis (IBM)
Ira McDonald (High North Inc.)
Norm Jacobs (Sun)
Till Kamppeter (Till Kamppeter)

Minutes:
We looked at Reference Diagram that Glen posted. We didn't like referring
to spooler as just a storage system. Spooler has a specific definition in
most print systems. The old diagram (Sept 01 2004) properly shows the
Spooler below (and attached to) the Print Manager.

The box around everything (where Spooler currently is in new Reference
Model) should be called Print Subsytem.

A file server could be available to any of the boxes where it is used
internal to a specific box, so it should not be shown in the diagram.
There are not any cases where something is saved to a file system by one
box and retrieved by another. If this were the case then the file server
would need to appear in the Reference Model.

We liked the fact that the colored lines shown in the old Reference Model
have been removed in the new Reference Model and instead there are
sequence diagrams to show the flow.

In the  NewPrintJob sequence diagram there is a box called Accounting
which isn't called from anything and doesn't call anything. Accounting
should appear as do the Rendering and Drawing Subsystem boxes so in the
Reference Diagram that are not part of the Print Subsystem. Accounting
includes audit logging and a usage data base. Accounting needs to be
defined if it is to be included in the sequence diagrams. What about
authentication and authorization? Should this appear in the Reference
Model outside of the Print System? It was suggested to add one box for all
three (Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting -- AAA). Add an arrow
from AAA box to/from Print Manager. Add a dotted arrow to/from Printer to
AAA box because a printer may provide it own authentication,
authorization, and accounting.

In the NewPrintJob sequence diagram, the calls to AAA need to be
specified. At a minimum authorization and authentication needs to occur at
the receipt of a job submission request to the Print Manager and
accounting needs to occur after job completion.

It appears that the NewPrintJob sequence is not complete. We remembered
that in his note Glen said that he just wanted to use the new UML tool and
get a start. We all agreed that it would be best if we created a high
level sequence diagram that just showed the basic flow (and order) between
the boxes, otherwise if the sequence diagram is too long you can get lost
in the detail. Then we can create lower level sequence diagrams that show
more detail about the various back and forth calls between two specific
boxes. We will start this activity during the next meeting in 2 weeks.