[Printing-architecture] Open Printing Meeting Minutes - Wed Oct 12th

Claudia Alimpich alimpich at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 12 13:29:04 PDT 2005

Participants:
Claudia Alimpich (IBM)
Ira McDonald (High North Inc.)
Norm Jacobs (Sun)

Minutes:
The PWG meeting is in 2 weeks, so we decided to hold our next FSG meeting
in 3 weeks, Wed 11/2, and then meet every two weeks (11/16, 11/30, 12/14,
skip 12/18, 1/11, 1/25, etc.

We determined the steps for the high level sequence diagram for Print
Manager Initialization, which is included below. The steps for the job
submission sequence diagram that we created 2 weeks ago is also included
below.

During the next meeting, we will work on a few more sequence diagrams,
possibly printer discovery and Status Monitor initialization.

Claudia
High level sequence diagram of Print Manager initialization, where the
sequence of steps is as follows:
1. User or system invokes Print Manager
2. Print Manager reads configuration profile from local or networked data
store (location of AAA, printers/queues that it is serving, fonts, media,
transform capabilities, printer capabilities and information, etc)
3. Print Manager authenticates invoking user or system
4. Print Manager invokes Status Monitor
5. Print Manager calls Status Monitor to subscribe for current printer
states, all printer events, and current job status for printers from the
configuration profile
6. Print Manager calls Capabilities to determine current printer
capabilites for each printer
7. Print Manager recovers saved jobs and initializes its queues
8. Print Manager calls Spooler to initiate job scheduling
9. Print Manager calls AAA informing AAA that Print Manager is available
10. The next steps are normal print operation as described in the Job
Submission sequence diagram

High level sequence diagram for job submission, where the sequence of
steps is as follows:
1. User invokes application
2. User selects print options and submits print request to Print Manager
3. Print Manager calls AAA to authenticate user
4. Print Manager calls Job Ticketing to parse job ticket (if necessary)
5. Print Manager validates job attributes and job ticket content using
stored capabilites
6. Print Manager calls AAA to authorize capabilites allowed for user
7. Print Manager determines if data in job must be transformed, and if so
calls Transform to convert job data
8. Print Manager places print data, job attributes, job ticket (if any) in
Spooler for scheduling
9. Print Manager sends job to the Driver
10. Print Manager calls Status Monitor to monitor specific printer for
printer and job events
11. Driver calls Capability to check printer capabilities against job
attributes and job ticket
12. Driver applies job attributes and job ticket (if any) to print data
13. Driver converts print data to printer ready format
14. Driver sends printer ready print data to PCM
15. PCM forwards printer ready print data Printer
16. Once Driver has sent all print data to PCM, Driver informs Printer
Manager that all print data has been sent
17. Status Monitor tells Print Manager that job has completed
18. Print Manager removes job from Spooler
19. Print Manager calls SM to stop monitoring specific printer
20. Print Manager calls AAA informing that job is complete

We also need sequence diagrams for the following:
1. Print Manager registers to receive updates on new printers and printer
capabilities (Dynamic discovery of a new printer)
2. Capabilities periodically updates printer capabilities (target is Print
Manager)
3. Status Monitor initialization
4. etc ...