[Printing-architecture] Printing Summit memo (for tomorrow sc meeting)

Osamu MIHARA mihara.osamu at fxpsc.co.jp
Mon Feb 6 00:12:37 PST 2006

Hi,

Here I compile opinions of member in FSG/OP Japan.
Unfortunately, I cannot attend tomorrow meeting, but please discuss what
we should do for the printing summit.

================

Memorandum - OSDL DTL Printing Summit 2006

In this memorandum, we are trying to summarize our opinion and stance
for OSDL DTL Printing Summit as OpenPrinting WG Japan, and propose them
to OpenPrinting Steering Committee and Chair (Mr. Norm Jacobson).

$$$ Background $$$

a. The Portland meeting regarding Desktop Linux has been held in Dec.
last year in Oregon sponsored by OSDL.  In the meeting, current status
and problems about desktop printing in Linux were discussed and, as a
result, "Printing Summit" conference was proposed.  However, it seems
that following are obscure.

- The purpose and scope of the activity of DTL.
- The purpose of assumed target of Printing Summit 2006
- Relationship with FSG/OP.

b. In the past, Printing Summits has been held twice in 2000 and 2001,
and people working for various printing projects has discussed about
problems and solutions in printing environment.  AS a conclusion,
OpenPrinting WG has been established as one of the work group of Free
Standards Group in order to study printing APIs for the next generation
of Linux environment.

c. On the other hand, it seems that, from the impression of the agenda,
existing printing systems, such as Foomatic, are focused and set as
subjects in the coming Printing Summit,  which is similar to
LSM2004/2005.  We are afraid that there is a gap between activities,
purpose and positioning of FSG/OP to defining standard API and the
objective of the Summit, furthermore, it also has difference between
objective of OSDL DTL group to promote Linux as a desktop system.

d. The purpose of FSG/OP is to study and standardize APIs between
sub-components of printing system, not to develop software in general
meaning.  It is for enabling integration of a printing system, combining
each sub-components, such as spooler, driver and applications, gluing by
standardized printing API.

$$$ Positioning of OSDL DTL Printing Summit in FSG/OP and Plan for the
Summit $$$

We recognize the Summit as a opportunity to introduce our achievement
and problems we have, by revising the information we have shown in last
Printing Summit/LSM.

Presentation #1: Update the presentation of LSM2004 and present it to
introduce FSG/OPs purpose, activity and achievement. (Glen Patrie)
  - Architecture
  - PAPI/JTAPI - Approved specs.
  - Driver/PCM - on going specs.
  - others to be defined

Presentation #2: Explain each implementation by Japan team under the
agency fund.  (To be assigned)
  - Vector Driver
  - PDF Renderer

Also explain about next implementation plan
  - PAPI
  - JTAPI

Demonstration (possibly a video): (To be assigned)
  - Printing on Laser Printers using vector driver

Introduction of the new API (To be assigned)
  - PCM

We would like to discuss above plan in the next SC meeting to get
consensus and start preparation for the Summit.  Possible we would ask
Norm to pre-announce the contents of the presentation (upload to
ftp.pwg.org).
--
 Osamu MIHARA // Fuji Xerox Printing Systems Co.,Ltd.