[Printing-architecture] Request for comment to PCM draft

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sat Feb 11 11:21:13 PST 2006

Hi,

Per current work (and minutes) of the FSG/OP Architecture WG,
both Status Monitoring and Device Discovery are first-class
_independent_ modules of the FSG "Open Printing System".

PCM should be _strictly_ concerned with establishing connections
and/or paths to already _known_ services and devices and passing
data.

Neither PCM nor Status Monitoring should ever attempt to do
their own device discovery.

The purpose of the FSG "Open Printing System" architecture is NOT
simply to serve the convenience (and current implementation design)
of CUPS (or any other printing software).

Neither is the purpose simply to serve desktop printing needs.

The purpose is to define a single common printing architecture
that spans from very low-bandwidth devices (e.g., PDAs and
cellphones) to professional production printing devices and
can be implemented on any Linux, UNIX, or other operating
system.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc