[Printing-architecture] Re: [Desktop_printing] Re: Trying out sample implementation of japanese OpenPrinting efforts

TORATANI Yasumasa toratani.yasumasa at canon.co.jp
Mon May 15 20:22:24 PDT 2006

Hi,

I think the common statement that we will shift to PDF as a new printing
spooling format is reasonable.

On the other hand, when a CUPS filter handles the PDF data, I think the
filter needs to access the entire PDF file, so, in case of long page document,
for instance over 100 pages document, does pdftopdf convert 100 pages PDF
into layouted 100 pages PDF, and save it into disk, and after completion of
saving 100 pages PDF data, pdfto* filter starts to read the saved PDF data
from the disk, and converts it into raster, PDL, etc?  Or, does pdftopdf send
some header including some PDF table info. to pdf* filter via stdin/stdout,
before sending the PDF document body data?

TORATANI.