[Printing-architecture] Meeting notes for 2006-05-17 / LSB 3.2 recommendation

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed May 17 17:23:24 PDT 2006

Norm Jacobs wrote:

> We spent the vast majority of our meeting time discussing what we would
> like to
> recommend for LSB 3.2.  We are also planning on meeting next week at our
> normal Wednesday time.
>
> <RECOMMENDATION>
>
>    ESPgs 8.15.1 or later with the following drivers compiled in
>             ijs    - InkJet Server
>             cups   - CUPS raster
>             opvp   - OpenPrinting Vector
>
>    Installation Locations
>       PPD
>          /usr/share/ppd/{supplier}/{manufacturer}-{model}.ppd
>             where whitespace and dash(-) are replaced with with
> unserscore(_)
>             supplier is the ppd file supplier (gutenprint, hplip, cups,
> epson,
>                                                hp, ...)

Don't bother listing CUPS here; we will only be using
/usr/share/cups/model for PPD files supplied with CUPS.

>       Driver
>          /usr/lib/printerdriver/{supplier}/...
>             where whitespace and dash(-) are replaced with with
> unserscore(_)
>             supplier is the ppd file supplier (gutenprint, hplip, cups,
> epson,
>                                                hp, ...)
>          /usr/lib/printerdriver/bin/{supplier-executable(s)}
>             links to executables in the {supplier} directory

What kind of printer drivers are to be supported by this?  I don't
see what you are trying to do here?

>    Printer identification
>       use IEEE 1284 Device Id.  In particular, the MFG, MDL, and CMD values
>       are what we most want to see used (and correctly provided by printer
>       vendors).  This should be the EXACT same value for 1284 parallel,
>       USB, SNMP, and ultimately IPP query.

FWIW, device ID information is not standardized in IPP, at least not
yet.  Some vendors put the device ID string in printer-info, but that
gets truncated too easily.

>    Possibly require/recommend foomatic for LSB 3.2

-1 from me on that one, we've seen too many problems over the years,
and you really only need Foomatic to support legacy Ghostscript
drivers...