[Desktop_printing] Re: [Printing-architecture] Re: Building PAPI implementation

Norm Jacobs Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM
Thu May 18 12:02:44 PDT 2006

The SourceForge openprinting project PAPI implementation actually
contains multiple implementations of the PAPI, but the one that
you link with and interact with directly uses a "printer-uri-supported"
value in your name service/configuration data to contact the print
service for a particular print queue.  If there isn't a
printer-uri-supported
in the configuration data, it doesn't know how to contact the print service
and will only return the name service/configuration data from a query.  This
data is retrieved on Solaris using the name service switch and can be
stored in ${HOME}/.printers, /etc/printers.conf, NIS priners.conf.byname,
NIS+ printers.org_dir, and/or LDAP.  On other platforms, the NSS support
is emulated and can be stored in /etc/printers.conf, /etc/printcap , and
NIS printers.conf.byname.

If you add a
"printer-uri-supported=ipp\://majax.mandrakesoft.com/printers/HPPSmart2600"
to the /etc/printers.conf or /etc/printcap entry for your printer, It's
likely
that you will see the results that you are looking for.

The PAPI implementation should probably be modified to use the "rm" and "rp"
information in abscense of a "printer-uri-supported" value.  This would be
similiar to what is being done for "bsdaddr"
(see papi/source/libpapi-dynamic/nss.c:fill_printer_uri_supported)

Additionally, the cupsd code that generates /etc/printcap and
/etc/printers.conf
entries (cups/scheduler/printers.c:cupsWritePrintcap()) could be enhanced to
include the printer-uri-supported key/value data in it's output.

Finally, if you only plan on targeting a particular print service, you can
probably get away with removing libpapi.so and replacing it with a symlink
to psm-{svc}.so.

    -Norm

PS
 There are descriptions of the various bits in subversion under
papi/docs/README.*.
 This is a short description of the PAPI implementations in the PAPI
code base.

I'll oversimplify this a little, but the PAPI implementation on SourceForge
contains multiple implementations of the PAPI (all exporting the PAPI
interface).
    source/libpapi-dynamic (builds and installs as libpapi.so)
          This implements something roughly analogous to the name service
      switch.  It is effectively interposed between the applications
      and the "real" PAPI print service support.  It resolves queue
      names using a nameservice (/etc/printers.conf, /etc/printcap,
      NIS printers.conf.byname).  On Solaris this also includes
      $HOME/.printers, NIS+ printers.org_dir, and LDAP.  It uses the
      "printer-uri-supported" information from these nameservices to
      load backend PAPI print service support and contact the
          real print service for the requested operation.  The printer
      query operations (papiPrintersList and papiPrintersQuery) support
      in this library is "special" (and I don't necessarily mean that in
      a good way),  It may not contact the actual print service if the
      name service contained the requested data.

    source/libpapi-lpd (builds and installs as psm-lpd.so and lpd-port)
          This implements support for contacting RFC-1179 based print
services.
      Because of the limitted nature and wide variety of RFC-1179 support,
          the PAPI support is very limitted.  The following printer/job
      operations do something useful:
                papiPrinterQuery, papiPrinterPurgeJobs, papiPrinterListJobs,
                papiJobSubmit, papiJobSubmitByReference,
papiJobStreamOpen/Write/Close,
                papiJobQuery, papiJobCancel
          Because RFC-1179 returns very little information, the query
      functions return a very basic skeleton of information.  They
      could be made to provide information from an associated PPD file,
      but there are other areas where the time might be better spent.
      lpd-port provides a means of isolating parts of rfc-1179 support
          that require elevated privilege from that application.

    libpapi-ipp (builds and installs as psm-ipp.so)
      This implements support for contacting IPP based print services.  IPP
      provides a a framework and rich set of operations and attributes for
      printing.  As a result, the PAPI support on top of IPP is complete.
      It makes use of standard IPP operations and attributes for the vast
      majority of the implementation with CUPS extensions being used where
      there was no standard means.

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> -L$RPM_BUILD_DIR/papi/source/libpapi-dynamic/.libs
>>
>> is missing. So I had to put

>> export LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$RPM_BUILD_DIR/papi/source/libpapi-dynamic/.libs"
>>
>> before the "%configure" in the spec file.
>>
>>    Till
>>

>> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>>

>>> Now I got it RPMized so that it can be installed on a machine with
>>> already installed CUPS. No I tried to make it actually working with the
>>> installed CUPS. I found out by running an "lpr" command through strace
>>> that it tries to load the non-existing "lpsched" service
>>> (/usr/lib/psm-lpsched.so) and I have seen in the source code that
>>> "lpsched" is used a s the default service (should not be as "lpsched"
>>> does not ship with the package.
>>>
>>> So I compile with
>>>
>>> export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -DDEFAULT_PRINT_SERVICE=ipp"
>>> ./configure --without-apache --without-ruby
>>> make
>>>
>>> to make it using "ipp" as default service (can one configure/switch the
>>> service at run time? There are no files in /etc/... and no documentation
>>> about such files, man pages are only in section 1 and 8, nothing in
>>> section 5).
>>>
>>> But with this setting it does not build:
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> [...]
>>> Making all in libpapi-dynamic
>>> make[2]: Entering directory
>>> `/home/tkamppeter/rpm/BUILD/papi/source/libpapi-dynamic'
>>> if /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile
>>> i586-mandriva-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
>>> -I../../source/libpapi-common  -I. -DPSM_DIR=\"/usr/lib\"
>>> -I../libpapi-common  -I./nss -DNSS_EMULATION   -I/usr/include/apr-1
>>> -DDEFAULT_PRINT_SERVICE=ipp -MT psm.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/psm.Tpo" -c -o
>>> psm.lo psm.c; \
>>> then mv -f ".deps/psm.Tpo" ".deps/psm.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/psm.Tpo";
>>> exit 1; fi
>>> mkdir .libs
>>> i586-mandriva-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
>>> -I../../source/libpapi-common -I. -DPSM_DIR=\"/usr/lib\"
>>> -I../libpapi-common -I./nss -DNSS_EMULATION -I/usr/include/apr-1
>>> -DDEFAULT_PRINT_SERVICE=ipp -MT psm.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/psm.Tpo -c
>>> psm.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/psm.o
>>> if /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile
>>> i586-mandriva-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
>>> -I../../source/libpapi-common  -I. -DPSM_DIR=\"/usr/lib\"
>>> -I../libpapi-common  -I./nss -DNSS_EMULATION   -I/usr/include/apr-1
>>> -DDEFAULT_PRINT_SERVICE=ipp -MT service.lo -MD -MP -MF
>>> ".deps/service.Tpo" -c -o service.lo service.c; \
>>> then mv -f ".deps/service.Tpo" ".deps/service.Plo"; else rm -f
>>> ".deps/service.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
>>> i586-mandriva-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
>>> -I../../source/libpapi-common -I. -DPSM_DIR=\"/usr/lib\"
>>> -I../libpapi-common -I./nss -DNSS_EMULATION -I/usr/include/apr-1
>>> -DDEFAULT_PRINT_SERVICE=ipp -MT service.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/service.Tpo
>>> -c service.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/service.o
>>> service.c:60: error: 'ipp' undeclared (first use in this function)
>>> service.c:60: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>>> service.c:60: error: for each function it appears in.)
>>> ICECREAM[19319]: Compiled on 192.168.2.67
>>> make[2]: *** [service.lo] Error 1