[Printing-architecture] Notes of today's telecon

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu May 25 07:28:16 PDT 2006

Here is the link to Giuseppe Ghibò's posting on dektop_printing which
was mentioned on the call:

http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_printing/2006/000744.html

It is mostly about following issues of hardware and their manufacturers:

- Linux/free software drivers for Hardware models appear only late after
  the model appears on the market. Often the model is already
  discontinued when the driver appears.

- Firmware is not built in any more into the hardware (on an EEPROM) but
  has to be uploaded every time one turns the device on. This requires
  to have a piece of proprietary software (the firmware file) on the PC
  and so the device cannot run out-of-the-box with free downloadable
  distros.

   Till