[Printing-architecture] Notes of today's telecon

Norm Jacobs Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM
Thu May 25 15:31:36 PDT 2006

This is from Wendy.  It bounced on the printing-architecture list.

       -Norm

Hi -

We were discussing disk layout without notes from the previous week. I'm
including them below.

SO,

    Till suggested /usr/share/ppd/supplier/language-tag

I would like to suggest:

    /usr/share/ppd/{supplier}/{manufacturer}/{manufacturer}-{model}-{language-tag}-{extra}.ppd

My thinking is:

    The main reason to search for a ppd file is to find support for the
target printer, ie need to know if support is present for that
make-model. Only then does language become the point of interest. I'm
not looking for all the printers which support <name your favorite
language> but if support for the target printer is available. Only once
I have this does the language selection process occur.

    Also, if we divide all the printers by the various languages, the
directory tree cam become large with some directories containing just a
few files.

    Till also suggested the "extra" tag. I'm not clear why. Till?

Comments?

-Wendy

---------------------  Notes from 15th
PPD

/usr/share/ppd/{supplier}/{manufacturer}-{model}.ppd

where whitespace and dash(-) are replaced with with unserscore(_)
supplier is the ppd file supplier (gutenprint, hplip, cups, epson,
                                              hp, ...)
manufacturer is the print manufacturer name from the IEEE 1284  Device ID
model is the printer model from the IEEE 1284 Device ID
        Eg.

/usr/share/ppd/gutenprint/Hewlett_Packard-hp_color_LaserJet_4650.ppd
           /usr/share/ppd/HP/Hewlett_Packard-hp_color_LaserJet_4650.ppd

     Driver
        /usr/lib/printerdriver/{supplier}/...
           where whitespace and dash(-) are replaced with with
unserscore(_)
           supplier is the ppd file supplier (gutenprint, hplip, cups,
epson,
                                              hp, ...)
        /usr/lib/printerdriver/bin/{supplier-executable(s)}
           links to executables in the {supplier} directory

        Eg.
           /usr/lib/prinerdriver/gutenprint/...
           /usr/lib/printerdriver/bin/gutenprintijs-5.0 ->
../gutenprint/gutenprintijs-5.0