[Printing-architecture] Notes of today's telecon

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Fri May 26 07:10:16 PDT 2006

After looking at the last several emails I am worried that the "extra" may
get out of control with some "guidelines".

I concur with Till's recommendation about the language tag at the end of the
name.  It is easy for both humans and machine to quickly identify the
language (after using the first part to get the model).

/usr/share/ppd/{supplier}/{manufacturer}/{manufacturer}-{model}-{extra}-{lan
guage-tag}.ppd

So I think we should focus on the "extra".   Idea's

I understand that my suggestions below will increase the length and
complexity of the filename.  But I feel that the User (via a directory
listing) may want to understand/identify specific PPD files without the need
to look into each one.  Therefore, just like font files, we
may-have-to/should add extra/more information in the filename.  Also, the
extra information has to be easy to identify not just by an application.  I
feel that if we don't define the "extra" fields early in the game, then it
will be come impossible later to fix.

1. If the extra tag information is a qualifier on the model, then the
information becomes part of the model tag.  For example,

/usr/share/ppd/foomatic/HP/HP-LaserJet_4050_ljet4-en.ppd
/usr/share/ppd/foomatic/HP/HP-LaserJet_4050_pxlmono-en.ppd

If you want to change it slightly, one could put the information in the
extra tag denoted as a model option.

2. If there are model options, it is denoted as "o_<model-options>.  For
example,

/usr/share/ppd/foomatic/HP/HP-LaserJet_4050-o_pxlmono-en.ppd

Since ijs is driver type (not a print supplier).  Beyond ijs, what is there?
(Note, CUPS, Guten, etc are supplier and will have a high level directory
level.)  (Are there really separate PPD's for IJS?  If so, why?)

3. If there is a driver-type extra tag, it is denoted as "d_<driver-type>";
for example

/usr/share/ppd/foomatic/HP/HP-LaserJet_4050-d_hpijs-en.ppd

Some of the extra-tags Till illustrated are really supplier specific.  For
example, qutenprint's standard and simplified.

4. If there is supplier specific qualifier tag, it is denoted by
"s_<supplier-specific-qualifier>".  For example,

/usr/share/ppd/gutenprint/HP/HP-LaserJet_4050-s_standard-en.ppd
/usr/share/ppd/gutenprint/HP/HP-LaserJet_4050-s_simplified-en.ppd

---------