[Printing-architecture] Notes of today's telecon

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Fri May 26 09:59:05 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm going to support Michael's point here.  The prevailing
usage in the localization industry and in most file systems
is to use language tag directories immediately _before_ the
terminal filename in a path.

And leaving aside "extra" entirely (not that we should),
10,000 printers with typically 10 languages supported
makes a directory of 100,000 PPDs with the language tag
as a suffix in the terminal filename - awful performance
for search and installation tools.

Though an installation tool MIGHT have to search multiple
directories for a given model, it could easily check the
user's current locale and present as the default (before
ANY other searching) a PPD for the current locale.

I sympathize with Glen about standardizing "extra", but
I tend to think it's mostly hopeless - syntax yes, content
not worth the effort.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc