[Printing-architecture] resend notes from last week

Fujinaka, Todd todd.fujinaka at intel.com
Mon Jul 24 09:19:16 PDT 2006

Behalf Of
>Michael Sweet
>
>Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> Does this mean that putting a third-party CUPS filter into
>> /usr/lib/cups/filter/ is no violation of FHS?
>
>Technically yes, since they aren't part of the standard printing
>system.  That said, there is a long history of putting drivers
>(or interface scripts, or filters, etc.) in /usr/share, so it
>might make sense to add a grandfather clause for this, or make
>it one of several possible directories - OS vendors put them in
>/usr/share, other vendors in /opt/printing/share, local drivers
>in /usr/local/share, etc.

It is my understanding that /usr/share shouldn't change. I think Till is
forgetting that CUPS is included by the distro, so having things in
/usr/share/CUPS at install time is not a problem.

>> Would then putting a driver and its PPD into the directories
>>
>> /usr/share/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>/
>>
>> and
>>
>> /usr/lib/printdrivers/<supplier>
>>
>> because these directories are a core part of the OS?
>>
>> Or do we still need the alternative location /opt/printing/?
>
>I'd say to support both - /usr for OS-supplied stuff, /opt and
>/usr/local for locally-installed stuff.

It is my understanding nothing should be installed into /usr while the
system is running normally. There are times when packages are updated,
but I think the assumption is that updates are not happening during
"normal use." Also, /usr is the domain of the distro and I doubt they
want you to touch it without their OK.

Thanks,
Todd