[Printing-architecture] resend notes from last week

Fujinaka, Todd todd.fujinaka at intel.com
Mon Jul 24 16:16:45 PDT 2006

Yes, this is wrong, AFAIK. CUPS can have 3rd party drivers /usr (in
specific places) as long as the distro provides them. Other people (like
printer manufacturers) are not allowed to add to /usr.

>So third-party CUPS drivers are violating the standards currently, due
>to requirements of CUPS.

Yes. Currently this is what CUPS does. Mike Sweet said he'd change
things around to allow other directories (correct me if I'm wrong).

I keep harping on the FHS because it's a requirement of LSB, and I'm
working on the LSB project. We'd like to have the printing directory
structure in LSB, but if the printing directory structure conflicts with
the FHS we'd have ambiguities. Ambiguous standard won't be much use to
anyone.

Thanks,
Todd