[Printing-architecture] [lsb-discuss] resend notes from lastweek

Fujinaka, Todd todd.fujinaka at intel.com
Tue Jul 25 08:25:14 PDT 2006

The argument for /opt/printing is a compromise. OpenPrinting wanted to
put everything in /usr/share and /usr/lib, and I told them that 3rd
party vendors who add things after the distro should NOT be using /usr
(at least that was my understanding).

However, OpenPrinting wants a standard directory for PPDs and drivers,
so they can tell a 3rd-party vendor that there is one place to look for
those things. I pointed out that they couldn't touch /usr, and they
needed /opt/<vendor> and then suggested /opt/printing/<vendor> when the
first was thought to be too scattered.

I had not been able to find an FHS person or active mailing-list to
bounce these ideas off of and that's another reason that some of these
suggestions are a bit off.

Todd