[Printing-architecture] [lsb-discuss] resend notes from lastweek

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 10:50:34 PDT 2006

Christopher Yeoh wrote:

> Yea, I agree /opt/vendor appears scattered, but symlinking them in
> through into /opt/lib/ and /opt/share/ should bring them all together
> without the need for adding a special printing directory to /opt. I'd
> like to avoid having a special case here unless it can be shown to be
> really necessary.
>
> We would of course need agreement from all of the major distributions
> before adding this to the FHS.
>
> Note that although 3rd party vendors will only have to install into
> one place, applications that look for them will still need to look in
> /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib in addition to /opt and at a higher level
> someone will need to work out precedence rules (say /usr/local ->
> /opt/ -> /usr in order of decreasing importance)

I got the following suggestion from a De Zeurkous <zeurk (at) xs4all.nl>:

Personally I'd suggest using /usr/opt for this kind of cases, and put all
the relatively generic data in there -- libraries in /usr/opt/lib, manual
pages in /usr/opt/man, perhaps binary symlinks to /usr/opt/bin instead of
in /usr/bin, etc. For the vendor-specific issue, i'd suggest just adding
the supplier tag as a directory and then symlinking back --
/usr/opt/lib/printerdrivers/foo -> /usr/opt/lib/acme/foo and so on.

De Zeurkous

I think this is somewhat strange, is this FHS compliant?