[Printing-architecture] Proposed filesystem layout for print ppd and driver files

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 09:41:09 PDT 2006

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>>>Except that I do NOT agree that the symlinks should be
>>>mandatory - if a print software vendor wants to store
>>>directly and ONLY in '/opt/share/ppd/<supplier>/<mfg>',
>>>that is sufficient and _preferable_ to the creation of
>>>more '/opt/<supplier>' directories for a useless level
>>>of indirection.
>>
>>Does the FHS allow files other than symlinks in subdirectories of
>>/opt/share/ and /opt/lib?
>

> Yes, but it does not allow a software packager to
> put them there.
>
> "The directories /opt/bin, /opt/doc, /opt/include, /opt/info, /opt/lib,
> and /opt/man are reserved for local system administrator use. Packages
> may provide "front-end" files intended to be placed in (by linking or
> copying) these reserved directories by the local system administrator,
> but must function normally in the absence of these reserved
> directories."
>
> (so it doesn't mention /opt/share explicitly but it seems
> like the intent is clear)

Does this mean that for third-party vendors only

/opt/<supplier>/

is allowed and nothing outside of this?

Then I see the only solution in

/opt/<supplier>/ppd/<file>.ppd

for the PPD files of this supplier and requiring absolute paths in the
PPD to the driver, which can be at an arbitrary place in /opt/<supplier>/.

WDYT?