[Printing-architecture] OPVP specification and use of UPDF

Norm Jacobs Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM
Wed Oct 4 13:28:00 PDT 2006

At today's architecture meeting, we discussed the proposed OPVP
specification in it's current form.  We discussed the issue with the
method of describing properties that was brought up at the last
OpenPrinting SC meeting.  The issue is that the specification does not
require a conforming implementation to support a specific scheme, but
instead simply states that the implementation can support any scheme it
likes.  The specification goes on to use UPDF as an example.

What we are looking for is a statement in the specification that selects
a required scheme to facilitate standard
description of properties so that there is a known method of specifying
properties.  Without this, it becomes less likely that renderers and
drivers will be able to be used outside of the specific renderer or
driver that they were designed to be used with.

We would appreciate it if someone would come to the OpenPrinting
Steering Committee meeting next week prepared to respond to this.  Once
this is addressed, we can move forward with the process.

       -Norm