[Printing-architecture] Required prefixes for symbols in new OP specs

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Feb 7 19:16:57 PST 2007

Norm Jacobs wrote:
 > FWIW, this will work for applications linking with libraries
exporting the old interface, but will not solve the problem for loadable
modules that are dlopen()'d and dlsym()'d.  In those cases, the shim
method you

Do we even need to worry about this?  Assuming a developer uses this
method, they can still use the old names (which are documented in the
specs) without relying on platform-specific weak linking support.

Regardless, the only time I can see using dlopen() or dlsym() is for
testing for newer versions of libraries at run-time, which will be
using the new naming conventions anyway, right?