[Printing-architecture] Activity Plan for OP Architecture WG

Norm Jacobs Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 8 15:37:21 PST 2007

McDonald, Ira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday's Open Printing Architecture telecon was attended
> by Claudia Alimpich, Glen Petrie, Till Kamppeter, and me.

Yeh, sorry I missed it.  For some reason it dropped out of my calendar.
> We discussed useful activities for the Architecture team.
> Glen suggested that we focus on architectural _validation_
> of the various OP modules.  We all agreed with this idea.
>

> Open Pringing Architecture WG Activity Plan:
>
> (1) Thin-thread (rapid prototype) implementation of entire
>     Open Printing Subsystem, with all existing or planned
>     modules (API, plus at least stub code for logging)
>     - must assume embedded environment (e.g., memory and
>       I/O operations must be in wrapper macros)

So you are proposing a project (or series of projects) to implement
these APIs in open source either by embedding in existing open source
projects or otherwise?  If so, how are we looking at finding the
resources to get the work done?  I don't have a problem with donating
time or code to implement components, but I need to make it fit in with
other projects that I need to get done.  That is how the PAPI
implementation on SourceForge got done.
> (2) Establishing naming and documentation conventions for
>     new OP printing APIs
>     - possibly a small new OP specification

It might be nice to have a guideline document that describes conventions
to be used in OP specs.
> (3) Standardizing licenses (e.g., MIT like JTAPI) for use
>     in OP design, documentation, APIs, and modules
>     - Glen - what is effect of Linux Foundation merger?

As far as the specifications go, we can impose a license in order for
the spec to be adopted.  As far as the code goes, we can suggest one or
more licenses, but it's likely that a project team will make that
decision on their own when they implement or open up/donate an existing
implementation.

       -Norm