[Printing-architecture] Application of OpenPrinting as Mentoring Organization for the Google Summer of Code 2007

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 15:31:57 PDT 2007

IMPORTANT: Everything which is needed is needed today, in the next 2-3
hours!

Below is the up-to date state of the application form. We should go
through the points during the call. We should also complete the project
ideas page:

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/GSoC2007

(Note the typo correction in the address. I have already corrected it on
the server and in the application form).

Especially we should write something about the JTAPI and PAPI
implementation. Claudia, Norm, Wendy, Ira?

In the application form we still need:

General (7): License for PAPI

About your mentors (2): Google user names for

 - Claudia Alimpich -
 - Norm Jacobs
 - Wendy Philips
 - Yasumasa Toratani (Or who else will mentor OPVP-related stuff)

About the program (4): We need a somewhat better answer here.

General
-------

1. What is your Organization's Name?

OpenPrinting

2. What is your Organization's Homepage?

http://www.openprinting.org/

3. Describe your organization.

The goal of the OpenPrinting workgroup is to develop and promote a set
of standards that will address the complete printing needs of embedded,
mobile, desktop, enterprise, and production environments, including
management, reliability, security, scalability, printer feature access
and network accessibility.

OpenPrinting also provides the most comprehensive printer compatibility
database, Foomatic, with its printer driver integration framework. This
system turned a de-facto standard which is used by all Linux
distributions and SUN Solaris.

4. Why is your organization applying to participate in GSoC 2007? What
do you hope to gain by participating?

We want to get complete implementations of OpenPrinting API
modules into the common Linux distributions, in order to add them to
the Linux Standard Base (LSB) in the 4.0 release ]

5. Did your organization participate in GSoC 2005 or 2006? If so, please
summarize your involvement and the sucesses and failures of your student
projects. (optional)

No, we did not participate.

6. If your organization has not previously participated in GSoC, have
you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)? (optional)

No, this is our first application.

7. What license does your project use?

PAPI:  ...
JTAPI:  MIT
Foomatic:  GPL
Downloadable drivers and PPDs: Licenses of the upstream suppliers, for
most PPDs MIT.

8. URL for your ideas page

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/GSoC2007

9. What is the main development mailing list for your organization?

printing-architecture Mailing List,
http://lists.freestandards.org/mailman/listinfo/printing-architecture

10. Where is the main IRC channel for your organization?

We are not using IRC currently.

11. Does your organization have an application template you would like
to see students use? If so, please provide it now. (optional)

12. Who will be your backup organization administrator? Please enter
their Google Account address. We will email them to confirm, your
organization will not become active until they respond. (optional)

Ira McDonald - blueroofmusic at gmail.com

About Your Mentors
------------------

1. What criteria did you use to select these individuals as mentors?
Please be as specific as possible.

We selected working group chairs and/or principal editors/developers for
the various
OpenPrinting APIs and components.

2. Who will your mentors be? Please enter their Google Account address
separated by commas. If your organization is accepted we will email each
mentor to invite them to take part. (optional)

Till Kamppeter - till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Ira McDonald - blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Claudia Alimpich -
Norm Jacobs -
Wendy Philips -
Yasumasa Toratani -
Ralph Giles - giles at xiph.org

About The Program
-----------------

1. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?

We will transition their work-in-progress to a caretaker

(i.e., the appropriate mentor)

2. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?

We will transition their mentor role to another active
member of appropriate OpenPrinting working group

3. What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
project's community before, during and after the program?

We hold annual Printing Summit face-to-face conferences.
We will attend other Linux professional conferences and shows as
time and funding permits.

4. What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick with the
project after GSoC concludes?