[Printing-architecture] OPVP spec RC4

Osamu MIHARA osamu.mihara at fujixerox.co.jp
Thu Jun 14 16:22:21 PDT 2007

Hi,

Toratani-san has posted the latest update of vector driver API spec.  It
is the result of big efforts of OPWG Japan members in these several months.

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/fsg/vector/pdapi-spec-1.0rc4.odt
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/fsg/vector/pdapi-spec-1.0rc4.pdf

Massive parts are reviewed and improved.  The change list is not
attached at the end of the document, due to the time limitation, here is
the main changes since RC2/RC3.

# Toratani-san, we should make a document to describe the changes
# of spec from version 0.2 to 1.0.

- Improve English expressions.

- Rewrite introduction section.

- Raster operation (ROP) functions are removed, since it does not
directly reflect the graphics model of PDF or PostScript. Because the
mapping scheme of superposition of graphical elements from
PDF/PostScript to ROP is ambiguous in the previous spec., and it causes
some artifact problems with vector printer driver implementations.  We
review the related functions carefully and confirmed that ROP is not
essential factor for our model and removing it does not cause problems
in the aspect of function and performance.

- Remove unnecessary sentences and paragraphs.

- All descriptions are rewritten to remove ambiguities, using RFC2119
definition (MUST/SHOULD/MAY...).

- Parameters for bitmaps and brushes are reviewed and rearranged.

- Some figures are added for clarification of concepts of functions.

- Etc. etc. etc.....

Please review the spec. and post the feedback to this mailing list.

Thank you!

--
   Osamu Mihara // Fuji Xerox