[Printing-architecture] Self-certification of Printers and Print Drivers for POSIX/Linux

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 08:42:33 PDT 2007

My suggestions for the testing are the following:

- Distributions must be LSB compliant. This way they have a common
environment for binary executables. LSB 3.2 will require important
interfaces for printing functionality in applications and for printer
driver integration.

The driver package should be made in distribution-indepent form to cover
all Linux distros with one driver.

- Core/system components which need to be tested:

    o CUPS
    o Ghostscript
    o foomatic-rip

The printer drivers interact only with these ones. Apps send jobs to
CUPS/the printing system.

- One good test would be to set up a print queue for the printer
pointing into a file and to print into it. The output file must have a
reasonable size after that. If something in the chain is missing this
test would fail. If there is physical access to the printer, printing on
the printer should also be tested.

- The user tool should be a distribution-independent package (or a
package each distro has to supply) which runs the tests in an automated
way and presents the results in both machine- and human-readable form.
It should also provide info to the user what he will need to do to make
his printing working.

    Till