[Printing-architecture] Self-certification of Printers and Print Drivers for POSIX/Linux

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:45:54 PDT 2007

Hi Shida-san,

"They" are Linux Foundation people who are interested in creating
various "certification" programs.  For example, a hypothetical "LSB
Print Certificate".

Chris Story (Ricoh) first pushed back hard on this idea.  Thus, we
(Open Printing) are talking about "validation" of print drivers and
printers for Linux/POSIX platforms.

As I said at our OP SC, target users for OP Validation tools are:

- Manufacturers - validate their PPDs and drivers and scripts
- Distributions - regression test/validate their build CDs
- ISVs - validate their applications (e.g., Scribus) for printing
- End Users - validate/debug installed print drivers/environment

Not all target users will use the same tool or script and for
End Users I agree that we will need to identify test apps and
test documents.

Cheers,
- Ira

email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com