[Printing-architecture] OP SC Minutes - 5 Nov 2007

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Tue Nov 6 07:04:39 PST 2007

Correction to Ira McDonald's interpretation with Steering Committee meeting

      - Till - PDF as standard intermediate print job format
        - pdftoijs and pdftoraster
        - Glen - misunderstandings about usage?

[gwp]  There is no misunderstanding.  The concept of pdf to ijs is not a
transform as was being discussed.  PDF is document format (remember that's
what is stands for) while IJS is client-service raster printing protocol.
Therefore, "pdftoijs" is not a transform but an application (due to nature
of IJS) that accepts pdf formatted documents, renders them pdf (by
pdftoraster) and then supports the IJS protocol to a printer driver.

[gwp]  There is no misunderstanding that PDF is not and should be a standard
for "intermediate print job format".   PDF if a "portable document
format",(remember that's what is stands for), and has never, to my
knowledge, been targeted specifically to printing.  It can be printed, just
like any other document format providing you have a renderer.  A PDF
document, within itself, has no traditional print attributes or is likely
to.  So it will never be a "print job format"; at the most it could be a
"print document format". (Do one set the number of copies or the print
quality; store that in the PDF, so that whoever prints the document gets the
same number of copies and print quality .... I don't think so.)   PDF is
just another of the many, many, ..., many, many document formats in the
world today.  So lets stop trying to turn PDF into a new print description
language or a print job format (whatever that means).

[gwp] If the question is what do you replace PS with?  That may be PDF!  So
we don't have PS printers any more and we have PDF printer; this does not
make PDF the new print document format nor does is make PDF a PDL. Instead
it make PDF the new "portable document format" - but again that's what is
stands for.

      - Till - HP considering moving from IJS to CUPS Raster
        - Ira - So IJS goes away in LSB 4.0?
        - Glen - frustration with discussion about IJS in LSB 3.2

[gwp]  I was not frustrated with the discussion, I was appalled by the
profanity and insults directed at me by meeting's chair person.  I expect
that with any group of diverse personalities for things to get heated but I
expect people to maintain some level of professionalism.  The line was most
definitely crossed yesterday.

[gwp]  As to the IJS discussion; 1. HP may be deciding to move from "HP-IJS"
(not the open-standand IJS) to CUPS Raster; that is a decision for HP to
make.   However, IJS (the open standard one and the one under discussion)
has been, is being and may be used in the future (but who know for sure
about the future of anything).  IJS (the open-standard one) is a very simple
protocol that gets around several issues (GPL licensing, proprietary driver,
upgrade-ability, etc.); it was very rapidly adopted and used by the industry
and is in real use today; it is part of CUPS and GhostScript today, so why
try to remove r even discussing removing something that has a use and is
already slated to be in LSB 3.2.

        - Norm - existing HP printers will need IJS in the future
        - Concensus - leave IJS in LSB 3.2 Printing for end users