[Printing-architecture] RE: [Printing-summit] RE: where is the info on driver directories

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:00:10 PST 2007

Hi Glen,

Whew!  Some thoughts inline below.

On Nov 8, 2007 5:42 PM, Petrie, Glen <glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com> wrote:
> So, does this mean that a better directory path (according to the LSB) would
> be
>

> /usr/lib/supplier/pdpca
>
> [ I don't like this but would do so if LSB has to have this.  The reason is
> that for a help desk person or a user they have to know who wrote the driver
> (the "developer" and not the "manufacture") before they can find a pdpca.
> But maybe they will know or the help desk person will be able to figure it
> out. Someone has to the name of developer of the driver under test -- I
> guess that has to be known in any case.  But if the top directory is pdpca
> instead of supplier then the person trying to do the test would at least
> know that these were the possible pdpca suppliers. ]

<ira>
Why do we need a directory pdpca at all?  Why can't a conforming
pdpca application just have a simple filename that starts pdpca?
And be in the SAME directory with the driver package?
</ira>

> [ Remember in the Linux world the word "supplier" DOES NOT MEAN
> "manufacture" and the LSB should start using a different qualifier; such as,
> "developer" instead of the word "supplier".   If the LSB wants "supplier" to
> mean "manufacture" then there would have to be a sub-directories specified
> under the "supplier" directory that denotes the "developer".  This would
> mean that Guten would have directories under Epson, HP, Canon, etc instead
> of just Guten (under a /usr/print/ top level directory).   I am sure that
> manufactures would not care if they put their scan drivers in one top-level
> directory and printer drivers in another. ]

<ira>
LSB does NOT make the rules here.  The pre-existing multi-OS FHS (File
Hierarchy Specification) makes the rules, with advice from LSB, FreeBSD,
and others.  They use the word supplier to mean developer or distributor,
not just manufacturer.  That's the way it is...
</ira>

> [ I think that directories by function (print, scan, etc) make more sense
> (to users, developer, maintainer, help desk, (is that most people)) than
> directories by supplier (Epson, HP, Guten, etc). How many mere mortals have
> tried to find (and spend some time) where an application is located
> (/usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/local, etc.).  Directories like /usr/print,
> /usr/network, /usr/mouse, /usr/scan, /usr/display, /usr/io are easier for
> me.  For applications that are not system related (word-processor, etc)
> would go into /usr/apps. ......]
>
> Would anyone have a problem with having both directories with a link between
> them???

<ira>
The LSB and FHS do not let anyone mess with '/usr/lib/...', except by formal
spec.  There's some '/usr/opt' and other less stable branches, where you can
get creative, but they don't like it.
</ira>